so you want to know what is going on, eh? the good, the boring, and the awesome? welp, here’s 14 mini-updates:
1. i traveled oh-so much in March! new places visited include: Prilep, Kratovo (the bridge-iest town I know), and don’t forget about my trip to Prishtina, Kosovo (see deets here and here and here). i also spent time in Skopje, Tetovo, and Struga. more travels are on the horizon with a trip to Greece in the works!
2. Camp GLOW is happening in August! i spent a weekend in Skopje lesson planning, training, and bonding with the GLOW crew, including host country national and PCV counselors, instructors and leadership. prospective campers start applying next month! wish us luck as we continue to promote, plan, and fundraise!
3. i’m helping my coworkers start a new NGO. woohoo! more on that друг пат (pronounced “drug pat” - another time).
4. ELECTIONS. 50,000+ people trounced all over my city one night last week to kickoff the campaign season. during election season, things can get a little crazy. i’m just trying to stay my little, neutral PCV self, despite the tough situations my local friends here face due to political affiliation. i’m struggling to find any nonpartisan news sources, so just Google if you want more info.
5. April 1 in Macedonia is like Halloween in America. kids dress up. i’m not entirely sure what all happens on this day, but i heard singing and saw lots of kids out and about in costumes during the school day.
6. IST is next week! IST = In-Service Training. this is very exciting because i will get to see wonderful PCVs who i haven’t seen since November.
7. my site mate has officially moved into town from his faraway village. this makes my life much, much better.
8. SUMMER IS HERE. yes, i know it’s only April. but, we’ve had so many gorgeous days in Ohrid lately that it’s hard not to think of that glorious season of sunshine and tennis and picnics. this also means that all of the ice cream shops that have been hibernating for the winter are now open! if you know me at all, you know that i am extremely happy about this.
9-14. i have a Macedonian tutor i visit weekly, and i think it is kinda-sorta improving my language skills // there is excellent sushi to be eaten in Skopje (thank goodness) // we held four spelling bees in Ohrid last month // i was selected to be on the Model UN committee // Daniel, this guy from Struga (which is super close to where I live) won X Factor Adria // salep is still the best thing ever
signing off with a birthday shout-out to my mom and my brother. среќен роденден!